You Might Be A Church Planter If…
(From the author’s blog at LeaderWorks)
A seminarian wrote me about a possible call from God to plant a church. He was excited to ask about his potential…what it would take and how he should prepare to undertake the task. He asked, “How could I know if I am a church planter?”
I could not help thinking about how Jeff Foxworthy might handle this moment…
1. If you have ever counted the ceiling tiles of a any room trying to guess out how many people might fit in it…you might be a church planter.
2. If you secretly hope that your NFL team loses the season early so that the play-off games won’t conflict with your Sunday service…you might be a church planter.
3. If you have studied the Bible in the original languages but still try to get your sermon points to start with the SAME LETTER…you might be a church planter.
4. If you have ever seen or used or thought about using the image below for anything…ever…you might be a church planter.
5. If you talk to yourself…in the car…by yourself…and you seem like pretty good company for yourself…you might be a church planter.
6. If your gold Starbucks card has gone platinum…you might be a church planter.
7. When you take attendance on Sunday and you count pregnant women twice…you might be a church planter.
8. If you buy Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joe’s for your communion wine…you might be a church planter.
9. If, while on vacation you attend another church, and after the service you try to stack their pews…you might be a church planter.
10. If you preach the sermons, organize the volunteers, update the website, order new plastic chairs on the way to a hospital visit, and you think that jury duty would be a vacation…you might be a church planter.
(With apologies to Jeff Foxworthy and thanks to some great church planters I know (Jason Bowman, Jed Roseberry, Peter Coelho, Ryan Jones, and Shawn McCain) who gave good input.)
Join our Community