(From the author’s blog at LeaderWorks)
A seminarian wrote me about a possible call from God to plant a church. He was excited to ask about his potential…what it would take and how he should prepare to undertake the task. He asked, “How could I know if I am a church planter?”
I could not help thinking about how Jeff Foxworthy might handle this moment…
1. If you have ever counted the ceiling tiles of a any room trying to guess out how many people might fit in it…you might be a church planter.
2. If you secretly hope that your NFL team loses the season early so that the play-off games won’t conflict with your Sunday service…you might be a church planter.
3. If you have studied the Bible in the original languages but still try to get your sermon points to start with the SAME LETTER…you might be a church planter.
4. If you have ever seen or used or thought about using the image below for anything…ever…you might be a church planter.
5. If you talk to yourself…in the car…by yourself…and you seem like pretty good company for yourself…you might be a church planter.
6. If your gold Starbucks card has gone platinum…you might be a church planter.
7. When you take attendance on Sunday and you count pregnant women twice…you might be a church planter.
8. If you buy Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joe’s for your communion wine…you might be a church planter.
9. If, while on vacation you attend another church, and after the service you try to stack their pews…you might be a church planter.
10. If you preach the sermons, organize the volunteers, update the website, order new plastic chairs on the way to a hospital visit, and you think that jury duty would be a vacation…you might be a church planter.
(With apologies to Jeff Foxworthy and thanks to some great church planters I know (Jason Bowman, Jed Roseberry, Peter Coelho, Ryan Jones, and Shawn McCain) who gave good input.)
Canon David has over 35 years of local congregational ministry, diocesan and national involvement, leadership, and ministry experience and is the founder of Leaderworks. He was the founding Rector/Pastor, Christ Church, Plano and currently serves as the Strategic Leader and Dean, Diocese of C4SO.