Latest posts by Greg Goebel (see all)
- Week of the Sunday from July 31 to August 6: A Collect Reflection - August 4, 2018
- Week of the Sunday from June 5 to June 11: A Collect Reflection - June 9, 2018
- Pastor’s Journal: Scorn Has No Place For Christ’s Followers - May 3, 2018
Ever wondered about the everyday, ordinary life of an Anglican priest?
Deacon Tish Harrison Warren asks Anglican Pastor Thomas McKenzie those questions you’ve always wanted to ask – but maybe were afraid to. Here is her description of what she is up to:
I am getting ordained in March and have the great gift of Fr. Thomas being, not only my husband’s and my friend and former priest, but also our official diaconal supervisor. I realized I have a bunch of really pragmatic questions, things that are kind of in the realm of those in ministry and liturgy wonks that would never be something that would come up in a sermon or a book of theology. I wanted to interview Thomas about all this day-to-day mundane priestly ordinariness and he was nice enough to let me.
I am really impressed with her questions. Here are some sample questions:
- When do you wear a collar and when do you not? How do you decide?
- Is there anything that you wouldn’t do in a collar that you would do otherwise (example: like smoking cigarettes)? Why or why not?
- Are there work-hour boundaries or other “rules” you’ve put in place to keep a semblance of work-life balance or do you think that’s impossible with pastoral work?
- Has there ever been a decision made by your bishop or your vestry that you just straight up think is wrong? What do you do then?
- Do you have a preference about if people call you Thomas or Father Thomas?
- Should a clergyperson or a clergyperson’s spouse ever publicly support a political candidate? Should they keep who they vote for a secret?
Everyone who is preparing for ordained ministry would benefit from this type of discussion. I’m looking forward to reading the answers. Some of them I’m kind of glad I don’t have to answer!
Deacon Tish Harrison Warren
Tish is a transitional deacon in the Anglican Church in North America. She and her husband Jonathan work with InterVarsity Graduate & Faculty Ministries at The University of Texas at Austin and have two young daughters. Tish writes regularly for The Well, Intervarsity’s online magazine for women. She has also written for Christianity Today’s Her.meneutics and was featured on the White Horse Inn. She’s newly on twitter @Tish_H_Warren.
Fr Thomas McKenzie
Fr Thomas is a writer at Anglican Pastor. He is married and has two school aged children, and serves as the first Pastor of Church of the Redeemer, Nashville. Thomas is a graduate of the University of Texas at Austin. His Master’s Degree in Divinity is from Trinity School for Ministry in Ambridge, PA. He was ordained in the Anglican Communion in 1998. He writes atthomasmckenzie.com and is a contributor to RabbitRoom.com. He also does the One Minute Review. Follow him on Twitter @ThomasMckenzie. He is an insightful and honest writer, and is passionate about strong, faithful, and healthy church communities.
Click here to see all posts by Fr Thomas.